I have written about perceived indifference before but following a recent experience I wanted to explore it a little more.
Let me keep this one very brief: –
- We work very hard to win new clients
- We shower them with our attention
- After they have signed on the dotted line our attention is drawn towards the next target
- Sometimes we spend less and less time on our clients
- Perhaps we don’t listen as much as we used to
- Worse still we do less “little extras” that aren’t really necessary but the client appreciates
- We forget that strong relationships are built on making people feel important, appreciated and understood.
So what happens next? We learn that one of our clients has given a piece of business to one of our competitors. We’re angry and disappointed but we can’t see how this was our fault. Mmmmmm.
My advice is as follows: –
- Examine your client estate and make absolutely sure each and every member is being looked after in a way that will ensure their continued loyalty.
- Step up your game as required.