You know, pressure can produce outstanding results in some people but stress (its first cousin) is always harmful and counter productive. It often causes physical as well as mental problems and will generally make you less effective. In short stress is NOT your friend.
This is how it all unfolds: –
- Stress causes unhappiness; pain and under-performance.
- Lack of control always causes stress
- Lack of the 3 P’s results in less control (preparation; planning and practice)
- Lack of time is why we don’t spend enough on the 3 P’s.
- Lack of discipline is why we don’t have enough time (we say “yes” too much and do things that don’t matter)
- Lack of accountability and strong working habits weaken our discipline.
- Lack of the right stakeholders causes lack of accountability.
So here’s what I suggest you do if you want a largely stress-free and happy existence: –
- Get the right stakeholders in your life: don’t compromise on your team and have somebody who you can make commitments to and will hold you accountable.
- Establish strong working habits.
- Say “no” when you need to and only do what matters (get a clear set of objectives so that you know what matters).
- Always plan, prepare and practice for every key event or responsibility.
All of these will result in putting you in control of events rather than the other way round and bingo! hardly a glimmer on the old stress-o-meter.
What do you think?